Monday, June 11, 2007

A Breastfeeding Mom's New Gadget

I feel like I gained earned extra powers. My new breastpump is electric and it's a Medela!


I've been dreaming about owning a breastpump like this even before giving birth to Polo. When I gave birth to Polo, I wasn't really sure if I would be able to breastfeed so I made do with the Pigeon manual breastpump I borrowed from my sister. After using my sister's pump for a few days, my hand started to ache so bad. After a few more weeks, I began breaking some of it's delicate parts. It just wasn't sturdy (or my hand was just to heavy for delicate things).

Then came, the Ameda Egnell one-hand manual breastpump sent from the States by my in-laws. It was ergonomic and easy to use. I searched the net and discovered that the Ameda pump was even hospital grade just like Medela and Avent breastpumps. However, my hand would eventually stiffen after using it for 10-15min which would make me pump more heavier. It just wasn't the ideal breastpump for my busy working mom lifestyle.

Last thursday, I ended up stressed out and exhausted from trying to beat the clock all through the night while expressing milk for Polo. Only to find out that I was 1 bottle or 4oz short for my supply for the day, I was fretting during the day. All that worry caused me chills, a terrible headache, body pain and frequent and unpleasant trips to the comfort room. I ended up weak and nauseated the whole weekend!

I had to properly handle the pressure and stress of making sure Polo has sufficient milk supply for a day but I knew that I needed help. Only a more efficient and reliable breastpump could do the trick.

Thanks to my ever understanding and caring husband, I'm now a happy owner of a Medela mini-electric single breastpump! It's one gadget breastfeeding working moms should have :)

4 comments:

Marvs said...

ikaw pa. malakas ka sympre!

Pia said...

naks... sabagay big savings for marvin to not buy formula! hehehe. but i agree - medela electric pumps are the best (next to the medela hospital-grade pumps though!). si marvin talaga o... bibili din pala ng medela, pinahirapan ka pa with the pigeon manula pump! (hehe joke lang!).

Margaritajelly said...

Marvin, you're Mr.-full-of-suprises! Thanks for the electric pump. I am now more relaxed when I pump milk. It's a far cry from the old manual pump I used.

Margaritajelly said...

Pia, mommy moo now has an electric milk pumping machine. Grabe, cool na ako ngayon at di kaawawa sa CR. The sound of the manual pump is so sad. Using an electric pump is still cost efficient vs. buying formula. It's a good investment!