Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My Babies are Sick

Polo is sick. He has been coughing since last Monday. Marvin is sick, he's been down with cough since last week. I am the only one in our small nuclear family that is still well and healthy.

This is the second time Polo got sick. The first time was with viral as Doctors would call it. He had colds. He was melancholic and lethargic then but after a few days, he got better and was moving and smiling actively. Now, with his cough, he only has gotten worse after 4 days.

This morning, I decided to leave the house late in order to nurse Polo before going to the office. I left him with my Mom while I took a bath and got ready to go to work. While I was dressing up, my Mom came to me worried about Polo's continuous coughing. It was quite non-stop. So we went to my Mom's room to settle him down. We laid him with his back on a pillow and made him to lie down sidewards. He continued coughing until white mucous came out of his mouth. Shocked, I didn't get to respond immediately. Instead of finally coughing it out, Polo ended swallowing it all up again. Yikes...

He is more active now than when he had colds but whenever Marvin and I hear him cough, we are saddened with helplessness and concern.

I ended going to the office late this morning. Late for my 10am mtg and distracted from work. Yeah, things are different now that I am a Mom, especially now that I am nursing a sick son (and husband...). I now have to juggle work and family. I now have to learn to shift my focus from family to work and back again.

There's a bit of a struggle for me considering that I am a focused worker. Focused worker, meaning, I zero in on my task at hand when working. I can handle multi-tasking but my current job already entails a lot of multitasking that to add other stuff like family matters is quite a stretch for me.

Well, if I envision being an excellent working mom, then I better learn the ropes and start my balancing act, right? Ok, then. Well, back to work, Jopay.

No comments: